Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Insomniac Theater

One of the more least charming traits of this wild summer are my vampire sleeping habits.  Queue Insomniac Theater!  Tonight, it's High Fidelity and my favorite character, Barry.  Everyone always likes Rob, he's the obvious choice I guess for most but Barry is HILARIOUS.   Also, I was so excited when I watched it for the first time and realized "Holy Smokes!  There are other people out there who make themed mixes?!"  I know, I know... basically I lived under a rock until 1999.



Barry:  How about the Jesus and Mary Chain?
Barry's Customer:  They always seemed... 
Barry:  They always seemed what? They always seemed really great is what they always seemed. They picked up where your precious Echo left off, and you're sitting around complaining about no more Echo albums. I can't believe you don't own this fucking record. (tosses the record to the customer and walks away) That's insane. Jesus. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For my sins, I spent far too many years working in record stores (the best element being the overnight parties hosted when the store was closed; always an impressive playlist, even if we did crash behind the counter only to re-open the store an hour or two later feeling like zombies).

Obviously no one is going to act like Barry AND keep their job for any period of time. But there were moments when it came close...

Genevieve said...

For my part, I will just pretend you said you and your compatriots DID act like Barry.

This particular experience is lost to me... well maybe not. Maybe when I'm a grizzled old lady, I will work behind the counter of some dingy record store sporting loudly decorated tights, motorcycle boots and some obscure band's whimsically designed t-shirt while bemoaning the loss of true audiophiles and daydreaming about themed mixes. And when the shop closes for the day, we'll bust into some questionable liquor and stay up until dawn listening to random albums and having quasi fights about them.

One can dream, ok?

P.S. I'm holding you to your promise to share some drôle tales. Start with the one about Richard Ashcroft and Kate Radley.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...